Home » Government » Major Milestone Brings White’s Ferry One Step Closer to Reopening

Major Milestone Brings White’s Ferry One Step Closer to Reopening

After nearly six years of determined effort, White’s Ferry moved significantly closer to returning to service Friday, July 24, as Montgomery County and Potomac Crossing, LLC announced an agreement that clears one of the final major hurdles to restoring the historic Potomac River crossing.

At a ceremony overlooking the dormant ferry landing in Dickerson, Maryland, Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich joined White’s Ferry owner Chuck Kuhn, state and local officials, and community leaders to announce that Montgomery County will purchase the Maryland ferry property for $1.5 million while Chuck and Stacy Kuhn will donate the ferry boats, business assets, and equipment—valued at more than $7 million—to the county.

The agreement transfers ownership of the Maryland landing and ferry operation into public hands, positioning Montgomery County to restore service once landing rights on the Virginia side are secured.

For Chuck Kuhn, Friday’s announcement marked the culmination of a journey that began six years ago with a simple objective.

“My wife Stacy and I purchased White’s Ferry… after the ferry had been shut down, and we have truly spent six years trying to work together with the Virginia shoreline, Montgomery County, Loudoun County, the State of Maryland, and the State of Virginia to get to where we are today,” Kuhn said. “The only goal was to get the ferry open. We never were worried about who owned it. We just wanted to make sure the ferry got back open for the community.”

Calling the announcement “a great step,” Kuhn thanked officials on both sides of the Potomac for remaining committed to restoring the historic crossing.

“’’d like to thank all of the Montgomery County officials, Poolesville officials, for everything you all have done, staying with me for six years to get this ferry reopened,” he said. Kuhn also recognized Loudoun County Board Chair Phyllis Randall, Supervisor Caleb Kershner, Loudoun County Attorney Leo Rogers, and others for their efforts in moving the project forward.

Elrich praised Kuhn’s perseverance throughout the lengthy process.

“I want to thank Chuck Kuhn and his wife Stacy for making this possible,” Elrich said. “Thank you for your perseverance and sticking to the original mission. You could have easily thrown up your hands and said, ‘This is never going to happen. I’m going to do something else.’ You didn’t do that, and I appreciate this.”

Elrich called the agreement “a major milestone” that will allow Montgomery County to move forward with restoring one of the region’s most important transportation links.

Under the agreement, Montgomery County will acquire approximately 2.5 acres of riverfront property, including the ferry landing, store, boat launch, storage buildings, and related improvements. 

Once the transfer is complete, the county plans to remove the ferry vessel from the river, inspect its condition, complete any necessary repairs, and prepare it for operation when service can resume. 

The county also intends to continue operating existing businesses on the property and explore additional recreational and tourism opportunities at the site.

Elrich emphasized the ferry’s importance not only to commuters but also to businesses and communities throughout the region.

“This community has been without this vital service for about six years,” he said, noting that restoring the crossing will reduce travel times, reconnect workers with employers, support businesses in Poolesville, and strengthen regional economic activity.

Friday’s announcement drew a bipartisan group of federal, state, county, and local officials, including U.S. Rep. April McClain Delaney, Maryland Delegate Lily Qi, Montgomery County Council President Natali Fani-Gonzalez, Council Vice President Marilyn Balcombe, Poolesville Town Commission President Jim Brown, and Montgomery County Department of Transportation Director Chris Conklin, all expressing optimism that the agreement represents the strongest opportunity yet to restore the historic ferry crossing.

While additional work remains before ferry service can resume, both Kuhn and Elrich expressed confidence that Friday’s agreement fundamentally changes the path forward.

“We’ve done everything we can,” Elrich said. “Now the ferry belongs to the residents of Montgomery County … We stand ready to work with them to achieve that goal.”

For Kuhn, however, the measure of success has never been ownership.

“We just wanted to make sure the ferry got back open for the community,” he said.

Comments

Any name-calling and profanity will be taken off. The webmaster reserves the right to remove any offensive posts.

1 Comment

  1. Ivozka Marčenko on July 28, 2026 at 5:44 am

    Nice update — glad to see real progress. Do you know roughly how long it might take after the county secures Virginia landing rights before the ferry actually runs again? Also curious if there’s any estimate for fares or schedule yet.

Leave a Comment





Subscribe. Get the news you care about in your inbox.

We don’t spam! See privacy policy.

e-edition

Recent articles