Weekend Detours for Pedestrian Bridge Installations Begin Friday, July 21 at 10 p.m. through Saturday, July 22 at 6 a.m.
Figure 1, at left: Pedestrian bridges similar to those at the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station (shown above) will provide access over the highways to the Silver Line Phase 2 stations.
Beginning in July 2017, lane closures and detours on the Dulles Toll Road (DTR), Dulles International Airport Access Highway (DIAAH), Dulles Greenway, and surrounding roads will occur over the weekends while Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project crews set pedestrian bridges at the Silver Line Phase 2 Innovation Center Metrorail Station.
On or about Friday, July 21 at 10 p.m. through Saturday, July 22 at 6 a.m. (alternate dates: Saturday, July 22 at 10 p.m. through Sunday, July 23 at 6 a.m.), the eastbound Dulles Greenway at mile marker 11.0 near the Old Ox Road overpass will be detoured to eastbound Old Ox Road (Route 606), eastbound traffic on the DIAAH will be diverted to the eastbound DTR overnight between Route 28 and Centreville Road. After midnight, traffic on the westbound DTR, along the westbound Dulles Greenway ramps, and the eastbound DTR will experience a police-assisted slow roll while the pedestrian bridge is moved from the staging area north of the highways to the installation site over the eastbound DIAAH. See detour and lane closure details below.
Information about additional detours will be forthcoming as the work progresses through July and in the upcoming months.
All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Friday, July 21, 10 p.m. to Saturday, July 22, 6 a.m.
– The eastbound Dulles Greenway at mile marker 11.0 near the Old Ox Road overpass will be detoured to eastbound Old Ox Road (Route 606). Traffic to Dulles International Airport, the DIAAH and the eastbound DTR will follow eastbound Old Ox Road to southbound Route 28 (see Figure 2).
– The left lane of the ramp from the westbound DTR to the westbound Dulles Greenway will be closed (see Figure 3).
– Eastbound DIAAH traffic to Centreville Road will be diverted to the DTR at mile marker 0.2. Signage will be in place to direct drivers.
– Eastbound DIAAH traffic between mile markers 1.8 and 2.2 will be diverted to the left lane of the eastbound DTR.
Eastbound DTR traffic will be restricted to the two right lanes.
– Eastbound DIAAH traffic will return to the DIAAH at mile marker 2.2, just prior to the Centreville Road bridge and all lanes will be restored for eastbound DTR use.
– After midnight, a police-assisted slow roll of traffic will occur on the ramp from the westbound DTR to the westbound Dulles Greenway, and on the eastbound DTR between the Route 28 overpass and the mainline toll booth.